Skip to main content
Pages and Files
AP Lang and Comp
Antigone Discussion Questions
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS - ANTIGONE BY SOPHOCLES
1. Why does the play open with a mention of the tragedy of Oedipus?
2. Do you think Ismene feels the same way Antigone does about
Polyneices, despite her reluctance to do anything?
3. Antigone says that the worst death is "death without honor." What might
this be a reference to (especially within her own family)?
2. In his long speech, Creon says "no Ruler can expect complete
loyalty from his subjects until he has been tested in office."
However, what is the justification he uses to say that he must be obeyed?
5. Respond: "There's nothing in the world so demoralizing as money."
1. The Sentry who comes to see Creon says, "A man should
never be too sure of anything." What else might this statement mean,
within the context of the play?
2. Why is Antigone not ashamed when she has to go before Creon and
3. Is Creon's decision to also arrest Ismene a smart move against
potential anarchy, or is it merely a vindictive act?
4. What does Antigone mean when she says, "Words are not friends."? What
do you think it means?
1. Creon asks, "If I permit my own family to rebel, how shall I earn the
world's obedience?" Do you think he's more concerned with ruling
well or appearing to rule well?
2. What are the fundamental differences in Creon and Haimon's viewpoints?
1. Why do you think the Chorus seems to be siding with Creon in its
dialogue with Antigone?
2. Antigone prays that Creon's punishment "equal my own." Based
on what happened in Scene III, how do you think this will come true?
1. Creon appears to revere Tiresias as the scene opens. How does this
2. Tiresias says, "A good man yields when he knows his course is wrong and
repairs his evil. The only crime is pride." Do you agree? Does
1. Respond to this quote: "Fate has brought all my pride to a thought of
dust." (Creon, p. 245)
help on how to format text
Contributions to http://shorewiki.wikispaces.com/ are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License
Portions not contributed by visitors are Copyright 2018 Tangient LLC
TES: The largest network of teachers in the world
Turn off "Getting Started"